Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report | U's 0-2 Brentford

U's exit Carabao Cup after home defeat to Bees

23 August 2022

Colchester United exit the Carabao Cup at the Second Round stage follow a spirited 2-0 home defeat to Brentford.

Colchester had a good number of chances in the first half, with Noah Chilvers looking dangerous on set pieces, and Tom Dallison threatening in the air.

Brentford opened the scoring in the latter stages of the first half, with Keane Lewis-Potter slotting past Kieran O’Hara after a defence splitting pass left the winger one on one.

Changes were made by both sides in the second half as Brentford looked to extend their lead and the U’s searched for a way back.

But the visitors proved too strong in the end, Mads Bech Sorensen killed the game in the dying embers, but a word must be said for the excellent performance from the home side against a top team.

Attention will turn to Tranmere Rovers on Saturday, where the U’s will look to carry their performance with them as they look to secure three points on the road.

With the Jobserve Community Stadium rocking, the U’s started the game with intent and purpose. Some excellent play from Dallison and Chilvers allowed the home side to fashion the first chance of the game, with Alex Newby finding space on the edge of the box, but the midfielder placed his shot just wide of the post.

Cole Skuse had an opportunity in a similar position after just five minutes, but the U’s captain could not keep his half volley down.

Brentford looked to play with plenty of width, Keane Lewis-Potter had a lot of space on the right-hand side to play a dangerous ball in towards Mikkel Damsgaard; the Danish international tried to guide a header past O’Hara but could not find the target.

As expected, the Bees settled into the game with most of the possession, however their quality in the final third was not as sharp as Thomas Frank would be expecting - the final ball often failing to find its intended recipient.

The visitors should have opened the scoring after 15 minutes, as a quality diagonal from Mads Bech Sorensen put Shandon Baptiste through on goal, but some excellent goalkeeping from O’Hara prevented the forward from rounding the keeper and slotting home.

Junior Tchamadeu was one player who looked bright for the U’s. Some excellent pace and skill from the youngster freed up some space on the right-hand side and his whipping cross troubled Thomas Strakosha in the Brentford goal, who had to punch away.

With Brentford playing high, Colchester had space to exploit on the counter attack. Noah Chilvers looked dangerous, and John Akinde was playing his part in holding the ball up for his team.

Wayne Brown’s side were excellent at drawing fouls from the opposition, and Chilvers’ delivery on many of the set-pieces looked dangerous. Dallison had a great chance with ten to go in the first half; the defender was left unmarked but could not keep his header underneath the bar.

However, the visitors took the lead with just six minutes to go in the opening half. An excellent ball from Baptiste played through to Lewis-Potter left the winger one on one with the goalkeeper, and the Brentford debutant kept his composure and slotted home.

Luke Chambers replaced Tom Eastman at half-time, with Brown keen to keep fresh legs at the back.

The U’s looked to pick up where they left off in the first half, with Chilvers slamming a volley towards goal but was not able to get his attempt on target.

Brentford continued to control the ball in the second half, with a few half chances falling their way, but Colchester continued to pose a threat in on the counter.

A host of changes were made by both sides as we entered the final thirty minutes, with Frank introducing Saman Ghoddos, Yoane Wissa and Josh Dasilva, whilst the U’s brought Ryan Clampin into the action in place of Al-Amin Kazeem.

Brentford saw fit to introduce their main man Ivan Toney with twenty minutes to go, and his presence was needed with the U’s having a great chance to tie the game.

A wonderful ball in from Tchamadeu was met by Newby and his diving header was saved by the fingertips of Strakosha, crucially keeping his side in front.

Dallison’s glancing header from the resulting corner was inches away, with the home side putting a mountain of pressure on their Premier League opposition.

This theme continued right until the final whistle, with Brentford happy to absorb the pressure and hit the U’s on the break. A strike from substitute Ryan Trevitt thundered off the underside of the crossbar before Akinde went close at the other end.

Colchester fought all the way to the final whistle, but as we entered five minutes stoppage time, Brentford grabbed a second. A corner was nodded goalward by Toney and bounced in off Sorensen.

A valiant display was not enough for the U’s to progress, but the players can be proud of the performance at the Jobserve Community Stadium as they bowed out of the Carabao Cup.

Attention turns to Tranmere Rovers on Saturday, where the boys will be looking to pick up three points as they return to league action.

Colchester XI: O’Hara, Dallison, Skuse, Chilvers, Ashley (Owens), Eastman (Chambers), Newby, Tchamadeu, Akinde, Kazeem (Clampin), Marshall-Miranda (Nouble)

Subs: Hornby, Clampin, Chambers, Hannant, Sears, Owens, Coxe, Tovide, Nouble

Brentford XI: Strakosha, Zanka, Onyeka (Ghoddos), Devri O Lu (Trevitt), Lewis-Potter (Toney), Damsgaard (Wissa), Baptiste, Janelt, Sorensen, Roerslev (Dasilva), Stevens

Subs: Hickey, Jensen, Dasilva, Wissa, Ghoddos, Toney, Jansson, Cox, Trevitt


Advertisement block