Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second Win For U21s

Thomas and Tovide seal victory over Wigan

25 August 2022

Colchester United's U21s won 2-1 against Championship side Wigan Athletic.

Liam Bailey's side travelled up to the North West on Wednesday, and came away with the three points to add to the three they won in their opening game, against Sheffield Wednesday.

Whilst the U’s had won their first match of this season 3-1 at home to the Owls, Wigan topped their section but with mixed results.

Having beaten Watford 5-0 at home, they lost 3-1 to Ipswich Town at Portman Road last Tuesday despite taking a first half lead with a goal by Chris Sze.

There was an early chance for the U’s in this week's match - on three minutes, Kyran Henderson lifted the ball over the home defence for Zidane Sutherland to get onto, but keeper Owen Mooney was out to avert the danger.

However, it did not take the U’s long to take the lead as Donell Thomas was on target for the second week running.

They went close again as Samson Tovide nearly capitalised onto a loose pass out of the defence, but he was denied by Mooney who kept the score at 1-0, as he blocked with his feet.

Things got even better just after the quarter hour mark when they scored a second goal as Samson Tovide was on target.

The first home chance came three minutes later when Harry McHugh sent Youssef Chentouf clear with a superb defence splitting pass.

Racing into the box, Chentouf wasted the chance by firing wide of the post as he came under pressure from a U’s player.

Ryan Lowe then provided an opening for Tovide to get in on goal, but Mooney spread himself well to block the effort from the visiting striker.

Things got even worse for the hosts on thirty-four minutes when Chris Sze got a red card from the referee for a late challenge on Lordan Akolbire. Soon after this the U’s defender was replaced by Kai Redgrave.

There was to be four minutes of stoppage time added but no further goals. After their poor first half, the Latics made a triple change at the break as Ethan Mitchell, Joe Adams and Josh Stones replaced Joe Winstanley, Steve Sumner and Joe Rodwell-Grant.

It was one of these who made an immediate impression as Joe Adams got on the end of a cross by Chentouf, heading into the top corner of the net  on forty-seven minutes.

Just before the hour mark, the U’s went close again as Frankie Terry took a touch and shot from the edge of the box, but Mooney pushed the ball away for a corner.

Kennedy Mupomba for the U’s was booked for a foul on Kieran Lloyd and Tovide suffered the same fate for a late challenge on the same opponent.

Three minutes from time, Henderson was replaced by a triallist, and the U’s so nearly sealed the win as Redgrave’s shot hit the post before five minutes of stoppage time were indicated.

They survived this to record their first ever win against Wigan at either Youth or Academy levels.

Advertisement block