Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | U's 1-1 Oldham Athletic

U's come from behind to take a point against Latics

26 February 2022

Hallam Hope's second half own goal, deflecting in Noah Chilvers' cross saw the U's collect a point at home against Oldham Athletic.

The U's found themselves trailing at the break after Davis Keillor-Dunn's opening goal, but a strong second half performance from Wayne Brown's side saw them collect a point. 

Noah Chilvers saw hs effort deflect off Hallam Hope's outstretched leg before looping over the 'keeper and into the back of the net. 

Wayne Brown named a side with four changes to the eleven that started in the defeat to Hartlepool United on Tuesday evening. 

Out of the team were Sam Hornby, Brendan Wiredu, Freddie Sears, Myles Kenlock, with the management team bringing in Shamal George, Luke Hannant, Alan Judge and Tom Dallison to replace them. 

The first half was a scrappy affair between the two struggling sides, although it was the visitors who edged the better of the play, taking a goal advantage in at the break. 

Noah Chilvers bagged the U's goal in the midweek game against Hartlepool United, and went close to finding the opener for Wayne Brown's side against the Latics as well. The central midfielder had two efforts before the visitors found the back of the net, seeing one flash just wide of Rogers' post, and another blocked by McGahey's foot in the penalty area. 

But it was the visitors that managed to get their noses in front with twenty minutes played, as John Sheridan's side looked to create further distance between themselves and the bottom two. It was the Latics' top scorer, Davis Keillor-Dunn who found the target, tapping into an empty net after Piergianni's flick on.

The visitors would maintain their one-goal advantage until half time, and Wayne Brown opted for a change at the break, with Freddie Sears coming on in place of John Akinde. 

And the substitution made the difference for the home side, as the U's got level six minutes after the restart. Freddie Sears was involved in the action straight away, tussling for the ball with Harrison McGahey and winning a corner for his side. The ball was recycled from the set piece back out to Chilvers on the left flank, with his cross deflecting off Hallam Hope, looping over Rogers and into the back of the net. 

The U's kept pressing forward and were close to taking the lead in the game when Owura Edwards picked out Luke Hannant who was arriving late at the back post. The winger did well to keep his effort down, forcing a good save out of Danny Rogers in the visitors' goal, stinging his palms with a poweful volley. 

Owura Edwards was finding joy on the right wing, twice cutting the ball back to his teammates to have efforts on goal. The first was to Freddie Sears, who had shot beyond the 'keeper, but saw his effort cleared off the line by Harrison McGahey for the visitors. And Edwards second cut back to Judge saw the Irishman bend an effort just wide of the upright. 

As the game drew to a close the U's defence had to endure a couple of scares with Shamal George collecting efforts from McGahey and Piergianni, while Tope Odabeyi mis-cued his effort after getting in a good position in front of goal. 

But the game finished all square, with both sides taking a point from the encounter. The U's remain twenty-first in the table, taking their points tally to thirty-two points for the season. 

Up next for the U's is another home tie, with an out of form Leyton Orient coming to the JobServe Community Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Colchester United starting XI: George, Chambers, Smith, Hannant (Wright 72'), Skuse, Judge, Edwards, Chilvers, Dallison (Kenlock 87'), Akinde (Sears 46'), Coxe. 

Unused subs: Hornby, Wiredu, Tchamadeu, Huws. 

Oldham Athletic starting XI: Rogers, Piergianni, Adams, McGahey, Hart, Whelan (Hunt 72'), Hope (Vaughan 83'), Keillor-Dunn, Clarke, Stobbs (Odabeyi 67'), Missilou. 

Unused subs: Leutwiler, Diarra, Hopcutt, Couto. 

Advertisement block