Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | Salford City 0-3 Colchester United

Magnificent U's run riot at Salford

22 January 2022

Colchester United put in one of their best performances of the season to take three points from Salford City in a fine 3-0 win at the Peninsula Stadium.

Luke Chambers got the U's going with an excellent header that looped over King before Myles Kenlock bagged his first U's goal on his debut from Alan Judge's corner kick. 

And Corie Andrews was another to get his first U's goal, with a fine finish after good work from Freddie Sears released the loanee to cap off an excellent display in Salford. 

Wayne Brown opted for four changes to the Colchester United, naming his first line up since becoming interim Head Coach on Wednesday. 

Shamal George made his return to the starting eleven, making his first appearance since picking up an injury against Stevenage in November. Also coming into the line up was Myles Kenlock for his first start since signing, Junior Tchamadeu and Alan Judge. 

They replaced Jake Turner who had returned to Newcastle United from his loan spell, Tommy Smith, Miles Welch-Hayes and Owura Edwards. 

Under the guidance of Brown, Dunne and Huzzey, the U's started the game against Salford very brightly and were unlucky not to have taken an early lead at the Peninsula Stadium. Cole Skuse was a couple of inches away from getting his first for the club and opening the scoring after receiving the ball from Freddie Sears. The central midfielder struck an effort with the outside of his boot, with the ball crashing against the foot of the post with Tom King in the home goal beaten. 

And the U's were perhaps a little unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty with eight minutes on the clock. Freddie Sears had done well to earn a corner from a wide position, with the resulting set play falling to Tom Dallison. The centre-half seemed to be bundled into as he hit a left footed effort, that took a deflection as it flew over King's goal. 

Wayne Brown's side were on top and taking the game to the home side, and went close yet again after twenty minutes, with Freddie Sears' effort thwarted by Tom King. Sears eased the defender out of his way, allowing for a one-on-one, but the onrushing 'keeper was able to make himself big and deny the U's forward. 

But the U's did manage to force home their advantage with half an hour played, and it was Luke Chambers netting his third goal of the season, and his third goal assisted by Alan Judge. The Irishman curled an inswinging free kick into the area, with Chambers getting the flick and looping the ball over King to make it 1-0 to the visitors. 

It was double delight three minutes later when Myles Kenlock bagged his first goal for the club after joining on loan on Thursday afternoon. Alan Judge was on corner duites, but it was Luke Chambers getting the assist with a flick on at the near post, directing the ball to Myles Kenlock at the back post to poke in and double the lead for the visitors. 

Shamal George remained untroubled during the first forty-five minutes on his return to the squad, with Wayne Brown's side almost grabbing a fourth just before the half time whistle. Alan Judge was close to getting a goal of his own, striking a half volley from a tight angle that Tom King was able to push away, but the U's would return to the dressing rooms happy with their performance. 

After the break, the U's had to soak up a bit more pressure as the home side came out fighting, and it made for an entertaining period of end to end football. 

The hosts were able to test Shamal George where they hadn't managed to do so in the first half, with the U's 'keeper called upon to make a couple of top-drawer saves to maintain the two-goal advantage. 

Conor McAleny forced George into a good save low down to his left from a tight angle after the ball had squirmed through the U's defence, and his teammates were able to clear, but the onslaught from the home side continued. 

The U's 'keeper was forced into another fine save with fifteen minutes to play, this time denying Jordan Turnbull's header from close range. After conceding a free kick from a wide position, the ball was tossed into a packed penalty area, with Turnbull attacking and getting a strong head to the cross. But an outstretched hand from George was enough to punch the ball away with Dallison and Wiredu combining to clear the lines. 

And the excellent defending paid off for the U's with Corie Andrews adding the third with less than ten minutes to go. Freddie Sears was the provider for an excellent counter-attacking goal, holding the ball and driving forward before playing an excellent through pass to Andrews. The loanee continued the forward movement, before slotting low beyond King to cap a fine display for the visitors. 

The U's took all three points on offer back to Essex after an excellent win, moving them on to twenty-five points from twenty-five games, creating a six-point gap to Scunthorpe United below. 

And up next for the U's will be Brown, Dunne and Huzzey's first home game in charge, with the visit of sixth-placed Swindon Town to the JobServe Community Stadium on Saturday afternoon. 

Salford City starting XI: King, Love, Lowe, Eastham, Watson, Lund (Elliott 64'), Hunter, Turnbull, Kelly (McAleny 46'), Smith, Vassell (Shephard 46').  

Unused subs: Torrance, Ndaba, Oteh, Golden. 

Colchester United starting XI: George, Chambers, Wiredu, Hannant, Skuse (Chilvers 25'), Judge (Andrews 70' (Nouble 90')), Sears, Dallison, Kenlock, Tchamadeu, Huws. 

Unused subs: Gerken, Smith, Edwards, Coxe. 

Advertisement block