Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Exit Youth Cup

Newcastle see off brave youngsters

17 January 2022

Colchester United's Youth Team have lost 3-2 against Newcastle United.

In Monday night's FA Youth Cup Fourth Round tie, Liam Bailey's side were narrowly defeated by the Premier League side's U18s.

The hosts scored after thirteen minutes via an extremely fortuitous own goal, but the U's had the best two chances of the first half.

Samson Tovide had a header ruled out for offside and Frankie Terry missed the target with a chance just before the half-time whistle went.

The game went in the hosts' favour with two further goals on fifty one and sixty one minutes, but Tovide provided a lifeline on seventy five minutes with his strike to make it 3-1.

Tovide then turned provider in the second minute of eleven added on, crossing for T'aizo Marcel-Delaver to score from close range for 3-2.

Despite pushing hard for an equaliser, the home side held firm to go through to face Blackpool in the next round.

The game started with the home side looking more comfortable in possession, without causing too many problems for the young U’s.

A cross did go just past the U’s far post on three minutes, but it was the visitors who had the first shot.

The ball was worked out to the left, but Kaan Bennett’s shot was blocked for a corner.

From that corner, Newcastle broke quickly down the left but Crossley pulled his shot wide with Kai Redgrave keeping track of the run.

On thirteen minutes, the hosts went ahead through an unfortunate own goal, with a clearance ricocheting past Endurance Johnson in the U’s goal.

The U’s responded immediately, and were denied a quick equaliser by Thompson in the home goal as Samson Tovide’s header from a Bennett cross was superbly saved.

Another break from the home side on nineteen minutes came to nothing, but a foul in the build-up was punished with a yellow card for Bradley Chakawa.

Halfway through the half, the U’s thought they were back in the game when Tovide headed home a Freddie Price cross, but the flag went up for offside and the goal was ruled out.

A few minutes before half-time, the hosts had to make a change as Jay Turner-Cooke clearly hadn’t recovered from an earlier knock and had to be replaced by Lewis Miley.

In the injury time added on for treatment for Turner-Cooke, the U’s should have made it 1-1.

The ball was put through nicely for Frankie Terry, but with just the keeper to beat, he screwed his shot wide of the post.

The U’s started the second half well, with both Price and Bennett having shots saved after cutting inside onto their right foot.

Whilst the U’s didn’t convert at one end, the hosts managed to do just that twice in the space of nine minutes to give themselves a 3-0 lead.

First, McNally volleyed home from the edge of the box, and then Ndiweni capitalised on the U’s losing possession to score.

In between the goals, Bennett picked up a yellow card, before Brad Ihionvien replaced Jaden Drakes-Thomas.

On sixty six minutes, Kai Redgrave made way for T’aizo Marcel-Delaver, before the U’s rallied to dominate the final stages.

Tovide got the U’s on the scoresheet when he followed up Bennett shot to fire through bodies on the line, making it 3-1 with fifteen minutes remaining.

A third substitution was made immediately after the goal, with Darnell Asare-Williams replacing Freddie Price.

Tovide turned provider two minutes into eleven of added time, rounding the keeper before squaring it for Marcel-Delaver to score from close range to set up a nervy finish for the hosts.

They kept out the brave young U’s though, to book themselves a Fifth Round trip to Blackpool.

It was so close for the U’s, who had already beaten Arsenal to get to this stage.

Advertisement block