Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report | U's 0-1 Millwall

Slender defeat for U's against Championship Lions

15 July 2022

Colchester United have been narrowly beaten by Millwall in the second home friendly of pre-season.

The Championship side took the lead in first half stoppage time, as Jake Cooper rose highest to head the ball beyond Shamal George. 

And it wasn't for the want of trying with John Akinde and Frank Nouble both going close, but Wayne Brown's side were beaten by the single goal in the first period. 

The first half was a competitive and at times fiery affair at the JobServe Community Stadium, and one that the visitors took the advantage in, just on the stroke of half time. 

Millwall started the better, with Benik Afobe's presence amongst the U's back line causing a few problems initially, but the central pairing of Smith and Eastman soon had the better of him, keeping him quiet for the first forty-five. 

Ryan Leonard had a couple of dangerous looking efforts early on, with Smith and Eastman blocking a powerful drive before Cole Skuse's last-ditch tackle brought a halt to any worry in the penalty area. 

The most notable incident of the first half, other than the goal, was an awful challenge put on Emyr Huws that saw the Welshman stretchered off. He was suitably replaced by Chay Cooper in the middle of the park, with Jake Cooper lucky to escape with just a booking for the foul. 

And Jake Cooper was the man that made the difference at the other end of the pitch. His goal on the stroke of half time gave Millwall the advantage, as he rose highest to loop the header over Shamal George and into the far corner of the net. 

It gave the South-London side a slender advantage at the break, but the U's came out fired up for the second period. 

There was a handful of changes, with Akinde, Nouble, Judge, Kazeem and Chambers all brought on, with the entire squad changed before the end of the game other than Shamal George in goal. 

Both Akinde and Tchamadeu went close early on in the second half, with Akinde seeing two efforts denied by Long with a great double save from the travelling 'keeper. And Tchamadeu saw space in front of him with a bursting run through the middle, but the eighteen-year-old was crowded out on the edge of the penalty area before he could pull the trigger. 

Frank Nouble then went close, seeing a shot closed down from inside the penalty area, before a final equalising attempt from Harvey Sayer. The U's had put together a good move down the right flank, eventually seeing Cameron Coxe deliver a low, driven cross to Sayer, with the youngster seeing his effort blocked and caught by the goalkeeper. 

And as the game came to a close, it was a respectable finish for Wayne Brown's side who showed they could compete with sides higher up in the footballing pyramid. 

Up next is the final home friendly, with Southend United at the JobServe Community Stadium on Tuesday evening - click HERE to get your tickets for the game. 

First Half XI: George, Tchamadeu (Coxe), Eastman (Terry), Smith (Chambers), Clampin (Kazeem), Skuse (Judge), Marshall Miranda (Ashley), Huws (Cooper), Chilvers (Sayer), Hannant (Nouble), Sears (Akinde). 

Subs: Hornby, Coxe, Chambers, Terry, Kazeem, Judge, Ashley, Sayer, Cooper, Akinde, Nouble. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account