Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | U's 0-1 FGR

Single goal downs U's in game for Ukraine

21 March 2022

Colchester United fell to defeat to the league leaders after Matt Stevens twenty-seventh goal of the season.

With fans turning out for an occasion at the JobServe Community Stadium, as the club aimed to raise money for the British Red Cross, the U's were defeated by the league leaders. 

Rovers got into an early lead through their top scorer, Matt Stevens, and it was enough for all three points as the U's couldn't find a way back into the game. 

Wayne Brown named a side with two changes from the eleven started against Bristol Rovers, with John Akinde and Tyreik Wright given starting berths. 

They took the places of Luke Hannant (illness) and Owura Edwards (injury) who were both missing from the matchday eighteen altogether. 

The U's looked to come out of the blocks quickly, with Noah Chilvers testing Luke McGee with a swerving effort inside the opening six minutes. 

But the league leaders looked to flex their muscles, and put their stamp on the game. Jack Aitchison rattled the crossbar with a thunderous effort from outside the penalty area, but Rovers' top scorer Matty Stevens went one better three minutes later. 

Latching on to a cross from the right wing, Stevens nodded home his twenty-seventh of the campaign, beating George to the ball from eight yards out to make it 0-1 with ten minutes played. 

It could have been two for Rob Edwards' side just a couple of minutes later when Jamille Matt was clean through on goal. But Shamal George was quick off his line to deny the Forest Green captain and keep the deficit to just a single goal. 

The league leaders remained in control for much of the half, although Noah Chilvers and Tyreik Wright had chance each to get one back, but both squandered their chances under pressure from the visiting defence, meaning the U's were trailling at the break. 

A similar pattern emerged in the second half, with the visitors content with their one-goal advantage. Rovers were able to keep the U's at arm's length, and reduce them to efforts from outside of the box, with Brown opting for changes midway through the second period in search of a goal. 

One of the substitutes, Junior Tchamadeu went closest to finding the goal for the U's, striking the foot of the post from a tight angle. His low drive caught out McGee at the near post, but he was foiled by the upright and the visitors remained in the lead. 

But time ran out for the U's and Wayne Brown's side were beaten by the league leaders. It means the U's remain in twentieth position with thirty-nine points from thirty-eight games. 

Wayne Brown's side remain eight points clear of the drop zone with eight games to play, and promotion-chasing Tranmere Rovers at the JobServe Community Stadium on Saturday afternoon. 

Colchester United starting XI: George, Chambers, Wiredu (Thomas 85'), Skuse, Sears, Chilvers, Kenlock, Eastman, Akinde (Andrews 71'), Coxe, Wright (Tchamadeu 80'). 

Unused subs: Hornby, Welch-Hayes, Dallison, Kennedy. 

Forest Green Rovers starting XI: McGee, Wilson, Sweeney, Cargill, Stevenson, Adams, Stevens (March 85'), Atchison, Cadden, Matt, Moore-Taylor. 

Unused subs: Thomas, Allen, Young, Hendry, Diallo, McAteer. 

Advertisement block