Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Win At Yeovil

20 December 2014

Eastmond winner enough for crucial three points.

The U's have won at Yeovil to pick up a crucial three points and move to within two points of a clutch of teams in the League One table.

Neither side could find an opening in the first half, with Sam Walker reacting brilliantly to tip over the best chance of the half - a volley from Ben Nugent.
Craig Eastmond broke the deadlock on seventy two minutes and it was enough to win the game and three massively important points.

U‘s boss Tony Humes made three changes to his starting line-up, Ben Gordon, Sean Clohessy and  Gavin Massey replacing Cole Kpekawa, Sanchez Watt and Rhys Healey.
The return of  Clohessy and Gordon in the full back  positions saw Ipswich loanee pushed further forward on the right, while Massey returned to the starting eleven as one of the three pronged attack.

The early stages of the game saw the home side have the better of the possession but it was the U’s looking a bit more dangerous going forward.

Neither keeper had a meaningful touch as defenders put blocks in for both sides.

Gorkss and Eastman denied Eaves as the U’s defended their goal and David Fox’s shot was also blocked at the other end.

Steer in the home goal made the first save, comfortably getting behind Gavin Massey’s effort from the edge of the box.

Halfway through the half, Yeovil got into a good area but the finish didn’t match the build-up, as Twumasi blasted his effort high and wide.

The best chance of the half came on thirty one minutes, and only a top class reflex save from Sam Walker prevented the hosts going ahead.

Danger man Gillett ghosted between two defenders and latched onto a through ball, but Walker reacted superbly to tip the volley over.

The final effort of the half came for the U’s, but Craig Eastmond misjudged is curler and it went well wide of the home goal.

Defensively, Humes would have been relatively happy after conceding ten in the past two league fixtures but he would have been asking for more from his forward players in the second half.

The defence stood firm during the early stages of the second period, but the attacking threat wasn’t there for the visitors.

It wasn’t there for the hosts either though and apart from Walker comfortably tipping over a long range effort, the U’s keeper was untroubled.

Yeovil made a double substitution with twenty minutes remaining but the U’s went ahead second later.

A good move down the left involving Massey and Moncur ended with Eastmond finding space and his low shot found its way past Steer into the bottom corner.

A response was expected from the hosts but it never really came, with Walker fielding a couple of weak headers before the referee blew the final whistle.

The first goal of the game was always going to be important and it went to the U’s.

Defensive they were excellent and the one chance was taken to give the U’s three points.

Advertisement block