Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Overcome Burnley

Inniss returns to action in U23s win

9 April 2018

Colchester United U23s got back to winning ways on Monday, as they overcame Burnley 2-0.

A goal in each half was enough to secure victory, as the U's scored at either end of the 90 minutes.

The U’s struck in their first real attack as a left wing cross was sent deep to the back post from where it was relayed back inside by Ryan Gondoh to his left for Tariq Issa to drive a low left footed shot into the net.

The visitors nearly struck back immediately, as Ntumba Mahanka got in behind Ryan Inniss but keeper Dillon Barnes got down to smother the shot.

As Colchester threatened again, Gondoh picked out the impressive Ollie Sims who broke down the left and into the box. He rode a tackle which caught him, but he kept his feet to get in the cross - had he gone down, he would have had a shout for a home penalty.

Colchester remained on top and, after half time, Sims was the provider for Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe but his shot was well blocked by Oliver Younger.

Then Burnley stepped up the pressure and dominated for a ten minute spell but found keeper Barnes in fine form as he made a whole series of saves with the best of these coming when a knock back from Mahanka found Aiden O’Neill, and the U's keeper saved exceptionally well from close range.

This came after Tommy Wood’s effort seemed blocked by a combination of Barnes and a defender, then he saved from Christian N’Guessan and O’Neill.

Having survived that spell the U’s went very close as a great delivery in by Sims saw Ogedi-Uzokwe denied by the combination of keeper Conor Mitchell and defender Younger.

On the hour Inniss and Ogedi-Uzokwe were replaced by Ollie Kensdale and Decarrey Sheriff.

The home team then had their grip back on the match, Sims rustled the top of the netting, Issa fed Sims, and his shot was blocked away into the path of Gondoh but the ball got stuck between his feet.

A pass out from the defence was sent straight to Decarrey Sheriff but he advanced and shot wide of the far post. A great strike by Issa took a big deflection and went just wide.

Then late on left back Ali Koiki lost control of the ball to Gondoh, who moved forward and slipped the pass to his right to the supporting Sheriff to drive into the net on the stroke of full time.

Advertisement block