Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Depleted U's Beaten At Newport

Second half goals prove costly in South Wales

17 November 2018

Colchester United have lost 2-0 at Newport County as the home side moved above them into the promotion spots.

The top six clash began with both sides giving the oppostion a great deal of respect, and it was no surprise that the game was goalless at the break.

Against the run of play, the hosts scored on fifty three minutes when Jamille Matt tapped in at the far post from a corner, and they added a second thirteen minutes later.

Sub Cameron Pring latched onto a decisive through ball and calmly tucked his shot into the bottom corner.

The U's worked hard in trying to get back in the game, but were denied clear cut chances and couldn't make a breakthrough.

John McGreal had to make three changes from his starting eleven last weekend, with Dillon Barnes, Luke Prosser and Diaz Wright coming into the side to replace injured duo Rene Gilmartin and Tom Eastman and the suspended Harry Pell.

It was six versus third and both sides looked like they were very aware of the threats of the opposition.

Chances were not given up easily in the opening stages, with the first opening coming for the hosts on six minutes.

Frankie Kent slipped when he went to challenge Padraig Amond, but the forward’s next touch was awful and Barnes was able to smother the ball.

Three minutes later, the play switched to the other end when former Newport forward Frank Nouble’s shot from distance was comfortably held by Day in the home goal.

Following these two efforts at goal, the two defences had the better of things and keepers were well protected by those in front of them.

Newport lost Robbie Willmott to injury, and there was a scare for the U’s when Luke Prosser went down holding his chest.

Fortunately, he was able to continue and he and his U’s defence went straight back to restricting the home attack.

It was unsurprisingly goalless at the break so both bosses would have been happy with the defensive side, but want more going forward in the second period.

And McGreal would have been pleased with his side’s start to that second half, as they really took the game to Newport.

Their positive play resulted in three corners in the first eight minutes, and it was totally against the run of play when the opening goal came on fifty three minutes.

The home side broke, won a corner and scored when the ball was flicked on at the near post and was tapped in by Matt at the back post.

The U’s responded straight away, but Diaz Wright’s effort was comfortably taken by Day two minutes after that opener.

Mikael Mandron was introduced in place of Brennan Dickenson and the pattern of play continued with the U’s on top.

Tom Lapslie volleyed over the bar from the edge, but it was the hosts who again were ruthless when their next chance came.

Sub Pring got in between Jackson and Kent and was in on goal with just Barnes to beat, something he did with aplomb as he found the bottom corner.

Another change came for the U’s with fifteen minutes to go, with Ryan Gondoh coming on for Lapslie.

And he made an immediate impact, creating a chance for Courtney Senior. Senior lost possession but blocked the clearance and the bar unfortunately bounced back off the bar.

That was Senior’s final contribution, he was replaced by Aaron Collins with ten to go.

Frank Nouble and Sammie Szmodics were denied in the same incident, which ended with Gondoh shooting narrowly wide of the target.

In the final minute, Szmodics shot was straight at Day, and the U’s conceded third place in the league table to their opponents with the 2-0 defeat.  

Advertisement block