Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Back To Back Wins For U's

Senior strike enough for 1-0 win at Morecambe

20 October 2018

Colchester United have won 1-0 at Morecambe to gain back to back wins for the first time this season.

The U's had the better of the first half, and got the goal they deserved a minute from the break.

Ryan Jackson and Harry Pell were both involved, and it was Courtney Senior who calmly sidefooted home to make it 1-0.

The hosts really took the game to the U's after the break, but couldn't find an opening and the U's held on defiantly to gain the three points.

With the confidence gained from last weekend’s victory, the U’s were on the front foot in the early stages of this one, taking the game to the hosts.

Harry Pell almost opened the scoring on only three minutes, but his diving header flew narrowly wide of the post.

Kane Vincent-Young and Courtney Senior then had shots blocked on the edge of the box as the U’s continued to have the upper hand.

Pell, like others in the green of the away side, was allowed to run towards the edge of the box but could only find home keeper Barry Roche with his effort from twenty yards.

That came on nineteen minutes, and was followed by a spell when both sides found it hard to cause problems for the opposition.

Just before half-time, a real bit of quality around the edge of the Morecambe box saw the U’s open the scoring through Senior.

The youngster picked the ball up just inside the Morecambe half, and found Ryan Jackson on the right hand side for the U’s.

Jackson’s return pass found Senior on the edge and the ball was quickly controlled and laid into Pell.

Senior continued his run and was found with a delicate chip from Pell, and the ball was calmly sidefooted home by Senior from the corner of the six yard box to make it 1-0.

The half time whistle went after two minutes of added time, and the U’s could probably just about say they deserved the lead.

It was a completely different story in the second period, with the hosts throwing everything at the U’s to get the equaliser.

There were appeals for a handball in the U’s box on forty nine minutes, seconds before aother ball into the box just evaded the slide of Leitch-Smith at the far post.

In a rare U’s attack, on fifty two minutes, Luke Norris had a header blocked from a Jackson cross, before the play returned to the other end almost immediately.

In quick succession, Tom Eastman blocked brilliantly, Ellison lifted a shot over and Conlan shot just wide for the hosts.

The best chance came just after the hour, when a cross to the far post saw Vadaine Oliver head against the U’s crossbar, with teammate Ellison better placed just behind him ready to head home.

Oliver then hesitated at the far post and left himself stretching for the shot and it flew wide of the target.

John McGreal brought on Aaron Collins, for Senior, and Brennan Dickenson, for Kane Vincent-Young, as he tried to stem the flow of the game.

It didn’t stop the hosts’ dominance though, and only three or four last ditch blocks in a scramble in the box prevented an equaliser in the final ten minutes.

Brandon Comley was the third and final change, coming on for Tom Lapslie on eighty five minutes, and he had to defend for much of the remaining five and five of injury time.

The U’s held on though, and it was a hard fought three points on the road.

Another away game beckons on Tuesday night for the squad, but the journey home from Morecambe, for squad and fans alike, would have been made much easier following the back to back league wins for the U’s.

Att: 1,839 (136 U's fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account