Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Salford City 0-0 Colchester United

U's earn a valuable point at unbeaten Salford City

16 March 2021

Chances were limited in a tight game with neither side keen to lose the game. The Ammies pressed for a goal late on, but couldn't break down a resilient U's side who held strong to earn a point at the Peninsula Stadium.

Wayne Brown named an unchaged eleven from the side that played out the goalless draw at Grimsby at the weekend, with the same seven subs on the bench. 

The U's came out looking to press and get forwards early on, and they were shouting for a penalty with just three minutes on the clock. The ball bounced around the area before appearing to strike a Salford arm in the area, but the referee waved play on. 

Wayne Brown's side had the best chance of the half with quarter of an hour played, when captain Harry Pell got his head to the ball. From a Callum Harriott free kick, Pell got too much on the ball, guiding it over the bar with Hladky in no mans land coming to collect. 

Colchester United were appealing for another penalty kick midway through the half when a chipped ball from Ryan Clampin to Paris Cowan-Hall with Touray appearing to clear the ball away with his arm, but again the claims were waved away. 

But it was a half of limited chances, with James Wilson having the only other real effort on goal, which didn't trouble Shamal George. He managed to work a yard of space on the edge of the area, before pulling the trigger only to see his effort flash just wide of the post. 

And the scores were level at the break, with Colchester United playing well against a side that hadn't lost at home in the league all season. 

It was much the same story for the second half, although both sides did have more chances to take the lead. 

Colchester United looked strong in the opening ten minutes and would have felt unlucky not to be ahead with Jevani Brown. The U's front man was closing down Hladky in the home goal when he blocked the clearance only to see it bounce up and back into the grateful arms of the Czech 'keeper. 

Callum Harriott tested Hladky with a low driven effort, but the man between the posts was able to show why he has kept the second most clean sheets in the league this season getting a strong fist to the ball to push it around the post to safety. 

But the U's had to be careful at the other end, not committing too many players forward. They did have George to thank when he was calm and confident as the ball entered his area to collect it and hold any crosses that came his way, without really being tested. 

Salford City had the better of the last twenty minutes of play, really looking to get the goal that would surely have been the winner in the tight affair, but the U's defence held strong. Even when George was beaten by the bounce of the ball Smith and Welch-Hayes were able to clear up the danger with top scorer Henderson lurking. 

Richie Wellens was urging his side forward to grab a winner, but they were unable to break through with the score finishing 0-0. 

It's a point that means the U's have now collected thirty-eight this season, although they drop one position to twenty-first with Port Vale beating promotion chasing Newport County, with the Valiants the next opponents for the U's this Saturday at the JobServe Community Stadium. 

Salford City starting XI: Hladky, Touray, Lowe, Eastham, Bernard, Turnbull, Threlkeld, Wilson (Towell 73'), Gotts (Hunter 62'), Coutts (Henderson 62'), Thomas-Asante (Burgess 89'). 

Unused subs: Evans, James, Clarke. 

Colchester United starting XI: George, Welch-Hayes, Smith, Pell, Brown, Harriott, Cowan-Hall (Chilvers 56'), Eastman, Clampin, Sarpong-Wiredu, Nouble. 

Unused subs: Coulter, Senior, Oteh, Stevenson, Cracknell, Tchamadeu. 

Advertisement block